The Big Picture
- Millennia ago, Jhavhul the efreeti lord falls in love with Ymeri, the Elemental Queen of Fire. Ymeri is way out of his league, however, and tells him so.
- Jhavhul spends several centuries searching for a way to impress Ymeri and win her heart. In the process, he foolishly gets himself entrapped by a clever mage.
- The clever mage has his own plans to achieve immortality and ultimate power. He learns about the corpse of Xotani the Firebleeder, but is unable to find it. Frustrated, he utters a poorly-worded wish and accidentally sets Jhavhul free.
- Jhavhul sets up his headquarters in the Brazen Peaks, names it the "House of the Beast," and begins the long process of locating the Fire-Bleeder and binding his essence to it, believing that this will finally make him powerful enough to be noticed by the Queen of Fire.
- Eventually this gets the attention of Nefeshti and the Templars of the Five Winds. They wage war on Jhavhul and his minions, and fight him to a stalemate. Nefeshti's human lover comes up with the idea of trapping Jhavhul in the Scroll of Kakishon, but he underestimates the Scroll's power, and ends up getting sucked in along with Jhavhul and his whole army. Nefeshti falls into a depression and disbands the Templars.
- The five Templars, lacking direction and bitter that they no longer have Nefeshti's blessing, split up and spend several centuries wandering about. Some of them hit upon the idea of searching for the Scroll of Kakishon in the hopes of freeing Jhavhul and working for him instead.
Enter the PCs
- Howl of the Carrion King - The heroes take on a job to liberate the village of Kelmarane from gnoll bandits. They discover an enchanted glaive possessed by the spirit of one of the Templars of the Five Winds (Vardishal). Another of the Templars (Kardswaan) has actually set himself up as the Colonel-Kurtz-like leader of the gnolls.
- House of the Beast - The heroes go after the gnoll warlord called the Carrion King, believing him to be a threat to the security of Kelmarane. However, they (and the Carrion King) are being manipulated by yet another of the Templars (Zayifid), who needs someone to pass through the genie-repelling wards beneath the House of the Beast and retrieve the Scroll of Kakishon.
- The Jackal's Price - The heroes take the Scroll to the city of Katapesh, where they are stalked by the remaining two Templars (Pazhvann and Davashuum), one of whom urges them to give up the Scroll while the other encourages them to open it.
- The End of Eternity - The heroes open the Scroll, unwittingly freeing Jhavhul and trapping themselves in the lost demi-plane of Kakishon.
- The Impossible Eye - The heroes finally escape from Kakishon, only to find themselves somehow trapped in the lowest levels of Jhavhul's ancestral palace in the City of Brass. There they encounter Shazathared, who fills them in on the Big Picture.
- The Final Wish - Finally, the heroes return home, only to find that Jhavhul has uncovered the corpse of Xotani the Fire-Bleeder and is on the verge of merging with it. They team up with Nefeshti to reliberate Kelmarane and stop the power-mad efreeti once and for all.
(:template defaults name=-SideBar order=title wrap=inline:)